Bibimbap means mixed rice in Korean. It’s a rice bowl packed with veggies and topped with a sunny side up egg. This one-bowl wonder is the ultimate comfort food and the perfect thing to warm you up as the cold weather hits.
This low fodmap bibimbap nourishing bowl is also a great way to get all the nutrients you need without harming your digestive health. So, for this special low FODMAP bibimbap I’ve chosen brown rice, swiss chard (green parts only), rainbow carrots, zucchini and sautéed tofu. You can use spinach instead of the chard and regular carrots instead of the colorful ones. And for a vegetarian meal, simply omit the egg.
If you like this recipe, make sure you also try my low FODMAP rejuvenating bowl. And if you are looking for more swiss chard recipes, take a look at these Loaded Potatoes and this Stuffed Chard recipe
Bibimbap Nourishing Bowl
- ½ cup brown rice
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups | 2,65oz | 75g swiss chard without stems OR spinach chopped
- 2,65 oz | 75g rainbow carrot peeled and julienned
- 2,29 oz | 65g courgette julienned
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz | 170g plain tofu
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs (optional. Omit if vegetarian)
- 0,56 oz | 4g green onions green tops only, chopped
- 1 tbsp | 0,39oz | 11g Sesame seeds optional
- Place the rice in a sauce pan with boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cook on a low heat, until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Drain and wrap the tofu with paper towel. Place a plate and a heavy object on top of the tofu and set aside for 15 minutes. This process will help tofu drain faster. After pressing the tofu, cut into medium rectangular strips and coat both sides with salt. In a hot grill pan, grill 5 minutes per side or until crispy and golden brown.
- For the swiss chard, carrots and zucchini, simply heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet, then sauté the vegetables (one at a time) with salt until tender. Chard will take 5-7 minutes, carrots about 5 minutes, and zucchini 2-4 minutes.
- Fry the eggs (optional) with a tbsp of olive oil and add a pinch of salt.
- Place the rice in two bowls, top with veggies and tofu, and finish with a sunny side up egg.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds (optional), stir everything up and serve.
2-3 tablespoon low FODMAP red pepper paste + ½ teaspoon gluten free soy sauce + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar + 1 teaspoon sugar + ½ teaspoon sesame seeds + 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
Mix well and pour the dressing over the bibimbap before stirring everything up.