Quiche + Salad = perfect lunch
So what happens when you cannot eat gluten or lactose? You eat just the salad?? Naaaaa…
You can eat these lovely savory muffins with a very special ham crust (I personally prefer chicken “ham” but feel free to use regular or low-calories ham). Basically all you have to do is substitute the pastry crust for round ham slices et voilà! You get a crispy and delicious crust that will surprise you and your guests!
For the filling I used beaten eggs, rice flour and lactose free milk with two veggies: red bell peppers and scallions. They are all you need for a simple and tasty quiche. If you want to add other ingredients, I would suggest leeks (green parts only for low FODMAPpers), 1/2 a cup of zucchini or broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes (2 pieces per person) and adding some goat cheese.
Now I can have my quiche and eat it with salad too!
Ah and don´t forget that these beautiful mini quiches are also perfect to take to work or for a party.
Mini Quiches in Crispy Ham Cups
- 6 round slices of ham OR chicken or turkey “ham”
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup | 4 scallions sliced, green parts only
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 4 tbsp lactose free milk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 360°F/ 180ºC and line 6 muffin cups with the ham slices.
- In a medium bowl add in the flour and slowly pour in the milk, whisking steadily.
- Whisk in the eggs, salt and pepper, mixing until smooth.
- Add the scallions and diced red pepper and incorporate.
- Pour the mixture carefully on the ham cups.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the quiches puff and ham is crispy.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then carefully run a knife around the rim of each muffin cup, lifting each quiche out of its cup.