Forget the French Salade Niçoise and say hello to the Belgian Salade Liegeoise! This hearty and comforting low fodmap potato salad is perfect all year round and will surely be part of your favorite take-to-work or take-to-picnic meals! But what makes it so special? And what does it have in common with the best waffles in the world?
This warm potato salad earned its reputation due to the combination of three main ingredients: green beans, bacon and potatoes. When combined with eggs and a hearty mustard vinaigrette, you’ll get an explosion of flavors in one meal!
To answer to the second question, both this Liège Potato Salad and Liège Waffles are specialties from the Liége region in Belgium. Blessed piece of heaven!
For more potato recipes, don’t forget to try my hearty Potato Gratin and these beautiful Loaded Potatoes.
And if waffles is your thing, you must try my low FODMAP Belgian Waffles.
Salade Liegeoise (Belgian Potato Salad)
- 1 lb | 450g potatoes new
- 5,29 oz | 150g green beans tips trimmed off
- 2 eggs hard-boiled, peeled
- pinch of salt
- 3,5 oz | 100g bacon diced
- 2 tbsp scallions (1) sliced, green parts only
For the Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp dill (optional but recommended)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Wash and scrub the potatoes, leaving the skin on. Cut them, transfer to a large pan with boiling water, adding the eggs, green beans and a pinch of salt. Cook the eggs and green beans for 10 minutes and remove. Cook the potatoes for 5 to 10 minutes more or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- While the vegetables are cooking, combine all the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed and set aside.
- Add the diced bacon to a large non-stick pan and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes or until crispy.
- Add the potatoes and green beans to the pan and gently mix to absorb the flavours of the bacon. Transfer the warm mixture to a salad bowl, season with the vinaigrette and top with scallions.
- Transfer the salad to two large serving plates or bowls, garnish with the hard-boiled eggs and serve immediately while still warm.