As announced in the previous post, here goes the roasted pumpkin seeds recipe: the super easy, delicious and crunchy fall snack of my childhood.
The surprise I was telling you about is the jar you see in the picture. I´ve decided to turn the rest of the roasted pumpkin seeeds into pesto. They are a great substitute for the crazy expensive pine nuts used in the traditional pesto recipe. I assure you that this one is equally good and surprisingly tasty!
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 1/2 cup raw whole pumpkin seeds
- a pinch of sea salt
- Carve the pumpkin and scoop the seeds into a colander.
- Run water over them to separate the guts from the seeds.
- Spread the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and leave them to dry out overnight.
- The next day pick out the remaining dried pumpkin guts.
- Preheat oven to 150º C/300º F.
- Roast for about 40 minutes or until golden but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- You can remove the crispy outer shell or just eat it whole.
The idea of using pumpkin seeds for making pesto was inspired by The First Mess blog post – A big thank you, Laura :). I´ve adapted it to a low fodmap friendly recipe:
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Pesto
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A pinch of sea salt
- Grind the toasted pumpkin seeds in a blender or food processor, until breadcrumbs texture.
- Add the basil, olive oil, water, lemon juice and salt.
- Blend until you have a smooth paste.
Recipe in Portuguese:
Pesto de Sementes de Abóbora
- 1 xícara de sementes de abóbora tostadas
- 1 xícara de folhas de manjericão fresco
- 2 colheres de sopa de azeite
- 2 colheres de sopa de água
- 1 colher de sopa de sumo de limão espremido na hora
- Uma pitada de sal marinho
- Moer as sementes de abóbora num liquidificador ou processador de alimentos, até obter uma textura semelhante a pão ralado.
- Adicione o manjericão, azeite, água, sumo de limão e sal.
- Misture até obter uma pasta cremosa.