Today is Cinco de Mayo (May, 5th), a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage around the globe, even if it´s not Mexico’s National Day (that would be September, 16th). In the past weeks I’ve seen my fellow bloggers create mexican inspired recipes and got the will to try one myself. So I came up with this simple mexican taco recipe with fresh flavors and colors that is also gluten free, vegan and low FODMAP. Buen provecho 🙂
For these tacos I’ve used hard-shell crisp-fried corn tortillas that I filled with pico de gallo, seasoned tofu and pickled radishes. If you prefer soft tortillas, it also works very well.
Pico de gallo, also know as salsa fresca or salsa mexicana is a fresh, uncooked tomato salsa, similar to the Italian tomato bruschetta. The touch of heat and cilantro and the lime juice make all the difference!
The quick pickled radishes and grilled tofu spiked with cumin will give your tacos a special boost.
Pico de Gallo and Tofu Tacos with Quick Pickled Radishes
- 4 corn tortillas
Pico de gallo
- 8,5 oz | 240g tomatoes diced small
- 0,56 oz | 16g scallions 2, sliced, green parts only
- 1 chili pepper seeds and membrane removed and minced (optional)
- 0,56 oz | 16g fresh cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice more to drizzle
- 6 oz | 170g extra firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
Quick pickled radishes
- 3,4 oz | 100ml apple cider vinegar
- 3,4 oz | 100 ml water
- ¼ cup | 1,76oz | 50g brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2,6 oz | 75g radishes (4) thinly sliced or shaved on a mandolin
- Start by making the pickles: combine all the ingredients except the radishes in a small saucepan and bring to medium heat until the sugar dissolves (about 1 minute after boiling). Remove from heat and set aside. Slice off the tops and bottoms of the radishes, cut them into paper thin slices and place in an airtight container. Add the warm liquid and let stand without lid for one hour. Seal the jar and refrigerate until use. You can save the remaining pickles in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- In a small bowl, stir together tomatoes, scallions, chilli pepper (optional), cilantro and fresh lime juice. Season with salt and stir to combine. Let sit at least 15 minutes, covered in the fridge until serving (ideally one hour). Stir in some more cilantro leaves just before serving.
- Slice the tofu into halves and wrap with paper towel. Place a plate and a heavy object on top of the tofu and set aside for 15 minutes. This process will help tofu drain faster. After pressing the tofu, cut into medium rectangular strips and coat both sides with salt, pepper and cumin. In a hot grill pan, grill 5 minutes per side or until crispy and golden brown.
- Place the tofu strips in each tortilla, top with two tablespoons of pico de gallo and some drained pickled radishes. Drizzle with lime juice and serve.
Such beautiful and colourful tacos you created Joana! And with pickles that I love!
Thank you! The pickles are very easy to make 🙂
Kat | curlsnchard.com
I love the vibrant colors – this looks delicious!
Thank you so much, Kat! 🙂