Low FODMAP Creamy Zucchini and Spinach Soup recipe. Simple, tasty and nourishing. A healthy creamy soup without dairy.
We Portuguese have a thing for vegetable soup. Most of us have it at lunch and dinner, every day of the week! In my family we call it the “stone soup” principle, meaning that we can put a lot of veggies in and always have soup available just in case we have unexpected visitors.
Challenges of a low FODMAP soup
Making and eating soup on the low FODMAP diet can be challenging mainly because of three reasons:
- garlic and onion, two staple ingredientes in most soups, contain FODMAP and should be avoided on the first phase of the low FODMAP diet.
- adding cream can be tricky, as we need to avoid excess lactose.
- we cannot use too many vegetables otherwhise we risk fodmap stacking.
So it is not always easy to come up with a good, tasty and creamy soup.
A creamy low fodmap soup without dairy!
You must be wondering how is it possible for this low fodmap creamy zucchini and spinach soup to be creamy if it contains no dairy? Well, I will let you in on a little secret…
There are two phases in the preparation of this soup: first you add the base ingredients to be mashed and cook them. Secondly you simmer the vegetables, in this case, the spinach. No need to add stock or cream. The creamy texture comes from the vegetables used in phase one.
There is also another tip: the way you prepare the zucchini for cooking, if you cut off some skin layers, as you can see below, the base will be less fibrous.
And before moving on to the recipe, let me just finish by saying that I get a lot of the inspiration for my recipes from visiting the organic market. Yesterday I saw these fresh zucchinis and spinash and just couldn’t resist…
For more recipes check out this collection of low FODMAP nourishing soups.
Low FODMAP Creamy Zucchini and Spinach Soup
- 13,7 oz | 390g zucchini
- 5,29 oz | 150g carrots
- 5,29 oz | 150g potato
- 2,64 oz | 75g spinach
- a pinch of salt
- a dash of olive oil optional
- In a large saucepan add the zucchini, carrots and potato and pour in water until the vegetables are covered.
- Bring to a gentle boil and cook over a medium heat for 30 minutes, until vegetables are mushy.
- Purée the soup with a hand blender or in a food processor and add a pinch of salt.
- Stir in the spinach, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the olive oil (optional).
- 65 g/ 2,29oz zucchini (fructan). Recipe calls for 6 times plus. This soup yelds 6, so you can eat 1 bowl of soup per meal.