Low FODMAP chicken soup recipe with rice noodles, carrots, kale, peppers, mint and chicken in broth. Comforting and delicious!
As a kid, when it came to chicken soup, star noodles came in first, then alphabet noodles. Orzo were not very popular even if I’m sure the soup would taste just as good!
So when I found these gluten free rice star noodles I couldn’t resist to make a tummy friendly version of my favourite soup – a low FODMAP chicken soup!
Out of curiosity, in Portugal, vermicelli is commonly used for a christmas dessert recipe called aletria, not for soups.
A tummy friendly chicken soup recipe
There is also another very personal reason for cooking this recipe and writing this post. This was one of my go-to recovery recipes. A few years back I was hospitalised, after a huge weight loss and lack of energy. No matter what I ate, my body just didn’t absorve so, after six month, I was too weak and just couldn’t function anymore (you can check the about me section for details). My flora and mucosa had been severely compromised, so I had to completely change my diet in order to heal.
You can say food was my cure and still is, as it takes minimum 2 years (!) for your body to get back on track after such an acute gastroenteritis. So, bottom line is that I was able to recover and am almost at my normal weight. This less fortunate episode, led to a much nicer one: My Gut Feeling!
This blog is an opportunity for me to share my experience and to celebrate life and health through cooking!
And what a better way to celebrate life than with a healthy, comforting and delicious low FODMAP chicken soup?
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did today!
Saúde, Santé, Cheers to Good Health!
Low FODMAP Chicken Soup
- 1 whole free-range chicken rinsed, giblets, wings, legs and skin discarded
- 1 cup rice noodles vermicelli, star or orzo
- 3 big kale leaves chopped into small, bite-sized pieces
- 2 carrots sliced
- 150 g | 5.29 oz red bell pepper* sliced (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh mint leaves for serving
For the Chicken Stock/Broth
- Place the chicken in a large pot over medium heat with enough water to cover the chicken and allow it to slowly come to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, partially covered, until the chicken is done. As it cooks, skim any impurities that rise to the surface; add a little more water if necessary to keep the chicken covered while simmering.
- Carefully remove the chicken to a cutting board. When its cool enough to handle, discard the remaining skin and bones and hand-shred the meat.
- Carefully strain the stock to remove any remaining solids.
For the Chicken Soup
- In the same pot add the veggies and let them simmered in the broth for about 30 minutes.
- Add the rice noodles, shredded chicken, salt and let cook until done (normally 7 minutes).
- Serve with mint leaves.