This low FODMAP loaf is inspired by the savory French quick bread, cake salé. It’s moist, tender and very easy to make! The tuna, red pepper, herbs and olives add in an amazing combination of fresh flavors. Great sliced for a take-to-work lunch or with a green salad.
I’ve been dreaming of a good savory low FODMAP loaf for ages! I’ve tried a lot of quick bread recipes, even beer bread (!), but none seemed good enough to make a second time or to share with you, guys. I had pretty much given up until this Sunday when I decided to try out a cake salé (a savory French quick bread). The idea sounded wonderful so my Sunday kitchen adventure started!
I wanted to play around with the recipe a bit, so for the filling I thought about one of my favorite combinations: tuna+red peppers+olives. So fresh, so good! I added zome zucchini, green onion tops and parsley. The result? Well, I’ve been eating cake salé happily since Sunday, and I can hardly wait to bake another loaf.
Bon appétit 🙂
Tuna and Vegetable Loaf
- 2/3 cup | 100 gr. rice flour
- 1/4 cup | 30 gr. corn flour
- 1/3 cup | 50 gr. tapioca starch corn or potato starch will work too
- 1 tbsp | 9 gr. baking powder
- 1 tsp
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup | 200 ml. of lactose free milk
- 3 tbsp olive oil + a dash to sautée
For the Filling
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1/2 cup | 15 green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 can of tuna
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup scallions green tops only, chopped
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 360ºF/ 180°C.
- For the filling, sautee the red pepper for five minutes in a pan coated with a dash of olive olive. Add the zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes. Mix in the tuna, olives, salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a bowl combine rice flour, corn flour, starch and baking powder. Mix in the turmeric (optional). Gradually mix in the egg, olive oil and milk, stirring frequently. Finish with the green onion tops and parsley and give it all a gentle stir.
- Finally add the tuna and pepper mixture to the dough and transfer everything to a 0,5kg/1lb loaf tin lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until golden and the tip of the knife comes out clean.