Bolo de Arroz is one of my favourite traditional Portuguese pastries and I am quite happy to have come up with this low fodmap portuguese rice muffins that are also gluten free.
These super light muffins have a soft and airy texture, a lemony scent and a crispy sugar crust. Nham!
The recipe is made with rice flour, so it’s naturally gluten-free! No dairy, because of the… rice milk! And if you want this recipe to be vegan too, just substitute the egg with a flax egg (please see recipe notes below).
Portuguese Rice Muffins
- 1/2 cup 4 oz | 115 gr sugar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg OR flax egg: 1 tbsp linseed + 3 tbsp warm water
- 1/2 cup | 140 ml rice milk
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup | 5,3 oz | 150 gr rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp of salt
- Sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Prepare a 12 muffins pan with paper baking cups.
- In a large bowl whisk the sugar with the oil for 2 minutes. Add the egg (or flax egg - see notes), milk, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- In another bowl, combine the rice flour, baking powder and salt and slowly add to the batter, beating until completely blended.
- Pour the batter half way into each of the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar on top of the muffins straight from the oven.
*To make a flax egg, combine flaxseeds and warm water, allow to sit for about 5 minutes and mix in the blender.