Low FODMAP vegan fried rice recipe with vegetables, ready in less than half an hour. A healthy and delicious vegan meal.
Today I share with you this easy Low FODMAP fried rice recipe, ready in less than half an hour. A healthy and delicious vegan meal with vegetables, chickpeas, peanuts and pomegranate.
This low FODMAP Vegan Fried Rice is a good example of how we can eat plant-based protein in all three phases of the Low FODMAP diet. For example, we can have canned chickpeas as long as we follow these 3 simple rules:
- stick to the safe amount 1.48 ounces | 42 grams of canned chickpeas per person, per meal. Larger serves contain high amounts of Oligos-GOS;
- discard all the liquid from the can;
- wash the chickpeas well in running water until all foam goes away.
How to make a vegan fried rice that is also Low FODMAP?
This recipe has FODMAPs and yet it’s still safe for us. This is because I avoid using foods from the same group of FODMAP and chose ingredients without any FODMAPs. This way you get a nutricionally balanced meal that is also safe. The recipe is for two, so you can eat half of the fried rice without worrying with unpleasant symptoms.
According to Monash University:
- rice, carrots and chives are FODMAP free and peanuts have only trace amounts. This means we can eat as much as we like of these foods.
- green beans – we can eat up to 2.64oz | 75g per meal. Larges serves contain too much sorbitol. Recipe calls for the same amount and serves two.
- pomegranate – we can safely eat up to 1.58oz | 45 grams per meal. More than this amount will have a high content of fructans. The recipe has twice as much, but is for two people.
- cumin is low FODMAP, without indication by Monash University which FODMAP it has. The recommended dose is 1 teaspoon. The recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon and is optional.
- olive oil and salt also do not have FODMAPs.
The result is a delicious, healthy and addictive Low FODMAP Vegan Fried Rice that can easily be made with leftover rice from another meal.
You can check out all my vegan meals here.
Low FODMAP Vegan Fried Rice
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp salt divided
- 2.64 oz | 75g green beans
- 2.96 oz | 84g canned chickpeas
- 2.11 oz | 60g peanuts
- 1/2 tsp cumin optional
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5.3 oz | 150g carrots diced
- 2 tbsp chives
- 3.17 oz | 90g pomegranate
- Cook rice and green beans in boiling water with 1 teaspoon of salt. Reduce the heat to a minimum and cook until water evaporates, approximately 15 minutes.
- Wash and drain well the chickpeas, discarding the loose skins. Sauté the chickpeas and peanuts in a very hot non-stick frying pan or wok, over high heat, for 3 minutes or until toasted. Add cumin (optional), remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same pan, still very hot with the heat on, add the olive oil and sauté the carrots for 2 minutes or until cooked through but crispy.
- Add rice and green beans, mix well and season with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the chickpeas and peanuts, give it a final stir and serve while still hot in the frying pan.
- Top with pomegranate and chives.