Customize a packable low FODMAP lunch with a delicious nourish bowl. Follow these easy steps and you’ll have a filling, healthy and safe take-to-work meal you can assemble to your liking.
Make your low FODMAP nourish bowl by following this formula: a LF grain, a LF pulse, a LF vegetable and a protein (check the recipe for low FODMAP – LF – safe ingredients and portions). Top with seeds and one of the three delicious vinaigrette-style salad dessings below.
Each ingredient group has 3 different options with endless possibilites, all of them low FODMAP. Whatever combination you choose, rest asure that all serving sizes and options are low FODMAP and that there won’t be any fodmap stacking.
The best lunch boxes
Now that you know how to make your own low FODMAP Nourish Bowl, let’s talk about lunch boxes.
You can choose any kind of container to transport your lunch, but I have a preference for glass containers with plastic lids like these ones (affiliate link). They are easy to clean, microwave safe and seal well. They come in all shapes and sizes. For this recipe I chose a medium small round glass container I bought in Ikea. They are quite handy, easy to carry and to clean. Downside is that they are a bit heavier that plastic lunchboxes.
Dressing should be stored in a separate small leakproof container. The movements from home to work will emulsify the dressing to perfection, before pouring it on your bowl at lunchtime. For this recipe I reused these baby food contaniers by Glasslock (affiliate link). You can also use a mini jam jar, like the ones you see in hotels for breakfast.
Low FODMAP Nourish Bowl
- 1/2 cup brown rice OR quinoa OR millet
- 3.5 oz | 100g chicken breast OR tofu OR 1 egg
- 1.59 oz | 45g cherry tomatoes OR carrots OR spinach
- 1.41 oz | 40g canned chickpeas OR canned lentils OR sprouted mung beans
- 0.35 oz | 10g sunflower seeds OR sesame seeds OR pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice OR balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard OR lactose free yoghurt OR soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Place your favorite grain in 1 cup of boiling salted water. Reduce the heat to minimum and let cook for 20 minutes or until water evaporates and the grain is cooked. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Choose one > EGG cook the egg in a pan with boiling water for 10 minutes | CHICKEN BREAST heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium–high heat. Add the chicken, sprinke some salt and cook each side for 5 minutes or until meat is cooked | TOFU drain and wrap with paper towel. Place a plate and a heavy object on top and set aside for 10 minutes. Cut into squares and coat with salt and cummin. In a hot grill pan, grill 5-10 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Choose one > CHERRY TOMATOES cut in half | CARROTS grate or ribbon with a potato peeler | SPINACH heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium–high heat. Add the spinach and sauté for 5 minutes or until spinach has wilted.
- Drain and wash one of the pulses and set aside.
- Assemble bowls in a lunch box. Cover the bottom with the grain. Add the protein, a vegetable and a pulse on top and sprinkle with the seeds. Place the lid and put in the fridge until eating.
- For the dressing, in a small leakproof container, combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth. Place the lid and put in the fridge until eating.
- You can enjoy the nourish bowl cold or slightly heated in the microwave. Toss over the dressing before eating.
This recipe has been revised and updated on March, 31st 2022, according to Monash FODMAP’s latest updates.