This Low FODMAP French Walnut Cake is light, rich in taste and increadibly easy to make! Its goodness comes from the generous use of walnuts, and its lightness from the egg white peaks.
This recipe was adapted from the traditional French Gâteau aux Noix, typical from the beautiful Perigord region, where I spent some days off. I found the original recipe on a local magazine featuring the region’s hidden treasures. And what a treasure I found!!
In the picture below you can see a slice of my first low FODMAP French Walnut Cake and it tasted amazing!! Because the recipe calls for almost no flour, it was actually quite easy to adapt. And it has only five easy-to-find ingredients: walnuts (these are reputed for being the best in France), eggs, brown sugar and cornstarch instead of flour. Surprisingly you won’t need any baking powder to rise this cake. Just beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. The result is this moist, unique in flavor, yet light and fluffy cake. It is great for dessert, breakfast or a sweet snack. And I even made it again last week for my birthday! Yes, it’s THAT good!
And don’t let the word French scare you. Actually they are also known for baking delicate and simple cakes, staring their best local products. This Low FODMAP French Walnut Cake is not fancy or hard, it is actually a very simple cake that tastes amazing! Give it a try, and I promise you you won’t regret it!
Low FODMAP French Walnut Cake
- 7 oz | 200g walnuts
- 6 eggs
- 4,23 oz | 120g butter
- 3,52 oz | 100g brown sugar
- 1,41 oz | 40g cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 355ºF | 180ºC and grease a 9-inch | 23cm round pan with butter.
- Pulse walnuts in a food processor, leaving some for decoration.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and set aside.
- Beat sugar with butter with a hand mixer until you have a white, pasty mixture. Add in the egg yolks, pulsed nuts and cornstarch and mix until combined.
- Using a spatula (not the mixer), gently incorporate the egg white peaks until they are fully integrated in the mixture.
- Pour the cake batter in the mold, decorate with walnuts and place in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Unmold when cake is no longer hot.