Got a crowd coming over for Christmas or New Year’s Eve? This big-batch salad makes a great starter or side to any main dish you prepare.
An all-star, easy-to-follow Mediterranean Salad recipe that is also healthy!
After the Xmas season feast, nothing better than a fresh, detox and healthy salad to put our bodies back on track. Even with food restrictions, and like many of you, I ate too much! What our bodies need now is a bit of a pause from all the traditional food we shared with family and friends. And because this is a festive season, I’ve invited my dear friends São and Pedro, to join me in this creation and taste the final result. I thank them for their patience, tips, kitchen and beautiful Bordalo Pinheiro Portuguese design dish. Thanx, guys 🙂
The result of our inspired cooking was this mediterranean salad loaded with fresh vibrant flavors of sun-dried tomatoes, bell peppers, chickpeas, feta cheese and tangerine. All this on a bed of salad greens and drizzled with a tangy olive tapenade (a popular french dip with olives and capers > to know more, read this post) and citrus dressing.
I wish you a happy and inspiring New Year! My gut feeling tells me it’s going to be awesome! 🙂
Crowd-Pleasing Mediterranean Salad
For the Salad
- Mixed greens lettuce, arugula, watercress
- 5,29 oz | 150g red bell pepper roasted or sautéed, thinly sliced
- 3,52 oz | 100g green bell pepper roasted or sautéed, thinly sliced
- 0,56 oz | 16g sun-dried tomatoes
- 3,52 oz | 100g feta cheese crumbled
- 2,96 oz | 84g canned chickpeas for crunchiness, sautée in a non-stick pan for 5 minutes or until golden
- 1 tangerine or clementine, peeled and split into segments
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds optional
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tangerine zest or clementine zest
- 1 tbsp olive tapenade* low fodmap
- Place a generous portion of greens in a big bowl and add all the other ingredients. Just before you are ready to serve, toss in the dressing and mix.
- For the dessing, in a small bowl add all the ingredients and whisk together until emulsified.
- Green pepper (sorbitol) up to 1,76 oz | 50 grams. Recipe calls for twice as much.
- Chickpeas (GOS) up to 1,48oz | 42 grams. Recipe calls for twice as much.
- Sun-dried tomatoes (fructose) up to 0,28oz | 8 grams. Recipe calls for twice as much.
* To make homemade low FODMAP olive tapenade, follow this recipe.