In the US, a tater tot is a well known side dish made from deep-fried, grated potatoes. You can think of it as a crisp potato croquette that you normally dip in ketchup. So how about trying something new for the holiday season ahead? These homemade Baked Falafel Tater Tots are flavorful, healthy, vegan and gluten free! And you can even make a special tahini sauce to dip them in!
Both tater tots and falafel are perfect as a side dish or a party appetizer, so why not combine these two recipes together? Think of it as a spicy and richer tater tot or as a low FODMAP friendly falafel (we do have tummy issues if we eat a regular falafel as it has too many chickpeas).
There is not much science behind this recipe, so with just 7 ingredients and a bit of time you can easily make these at home.
To dip in these baked falafel tater tots, I recommend this low FODMAP ketchup from Fody Foods (affiliate link). Or you can also make your own tahini dressing with sesame paste, lemon and water. It is used as a condiment to accompany falafel and I think it also pairs very well with these falafel tater tots.
Baked Falafel Tater Tots
- 8,5 oz | 2 medium | 244 gr. potatoes
- 1/2 cup | 84 gr. canned chickpeas drained
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp | 40 gr sesame paste (tahini)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp water
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot with boiling water and cook for 20-30 minutes, until fork tender. Drain and let potatoes cool until they are comfortable to handle.
- Grate potatoes on the large side of a box grater and put into a large bowl.
- Roughly pulse the chickpeas and place them into the bowl with the potatoes. Add the salt, cumin, lemon juice and parsley and mix everything together with your hands.
- Adding 1 tablespoon of the mixture at a time, gently use your hands to form small “tot” shaped cylinders. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat until mixture has ended (makes approximately 20 tater tots).
- Set in fridge to firm up and preheat oven to 400ºF/200ºC
- Brush or sprinkle the top of each tater tot with a small amount of olive oil. Bake tater tots until crispy, golden brown, about 30 minutes, flipping halfway though.
- Serve with low FODMAP ketchup or…
- In a small bowl, mix sesame paste, salt and lemon juice with a spoon until it thickens.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time and mix until well incorporated. For thinner sauce, add more water.
- Refrigerate until serving (the sauce will thicken a bit)
- 1/4 cup (42 gr.) canned chickpeas
- 1 medium (122 gr.) potato
- 1 tbsp (20 gr.) tahini paste
So you can eat up to half of the tater tots and of the tahini sauce.