Today’s recipe is dedicated to you, my readers. You’re the reason why, an year after my first post, I’m still creating and sharing food sensitivies friendly recipes. One year and more than 70 recipes after, I thank you for reading and for supporting me during this great journey of culinary findings. And I can’t wait to share this one with you…
Before my food intolerances, Passion Fruit Tart was definitely one of my most popular desserts. I used to make it in the summer for my family and friends and it normally didn´t last long…
The original recipe is made with Marie Biscuit and sweetened condensed milk. For this new free from version I was able to keep the same creamy and crumbly texture. I made a gluten and lactose free custard with corn starch, lactose free milk and eggs and used lactose and gluten free Marie biscuits. I’ve also added lime for a perfect balance between sweet (from the biscuits), tart (from the passion fruit) and tangy (from the lime). The result is a fresh and delicious dessert, surprisingly identical to the original one but adapted to sensitive guts!
Passion Fruit and Lime Tartlets
- 2 passion fruits
- 1 tbsp lime juice OR lemon
- 1 tsp lime zest + more to sprinkle on top OR lemon
- 4 gelatine sheets or 1 tablespoon of powdered gelatine
- 1/2 cup | 140 ml lactose free milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup +2 tbsp | 70g cornstarch
For the crust
- 200 g gluten free and lactose free Marie biscuits OR plain and sweet low FODMAP biscuits
- 2 tbsp butter
- Crush the biscuits in a blender or food processor until dust. Add in the butter and mix well with your hands. Put into 3 mini tart pans and place in the freezer while preparing the rest of the recipe.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with the sugar for 3-5 minutes. Add the lime juice and zest, mix and set aside.
- In a saucepan over the lowest heat possible, melt the gelatine in the milk, stirring constantly. Slowly pour in the eggs preparation and add the corn starch (slowly as well), never stopping to stir. You will know when to stop when the liquid thickens (5 to 10 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Open the passion fruits in half, spoon out the pulp and add to the preparation, mixing just until incorporated.
- Remove the tartlets bases from the freezer and pour in the preparation.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, sprinkle with lime zest and serve.