This healthy, light and delicious low FODMAP Tuna Noodle Casserole is easy to make and even easier to love. You might even like it more than the classic version!
It might not have all the classic ingredients (on the 1st phase we cannot tolerate peas, cream or certain mushrooms) but this healthier, lighter yet flarvorful version might just make you forget about the when-I-could-eat-all-fodmaps tuna casserole.
The inspiration for this low FODMAP Tuna Noodle Casserole came from the original Italian ragu sauce (aka bolognese). Really?! a meat dish inspiring a tuna casserole?!
Proteins aside, in the traditional version, the sauce is actually made with a lot of carrots and celery and not so many tomatoes. So I thought that it could be interesting to add low FODMAP veggies like carrots and green beans and some tomatoes as well. Tomatoes and tuna are a classic combination in the mediterranean kitchen and a personal favorite.
The result is this easy, delicious, healthy and tummy friendly Tuna Noodle Casserole perfect for a weeknight family dinner.
And if you love tuna, check out these recipes:
Low FODMAP Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 2 cups | 290 gr gluten-free egg noodles
- 5.3 oz | 150 gr frozen green beans
- 1 tbsp garlic infused oil
- 7 oz | 200 gr. canned tomatoes diced
- 2,6 oz | 75 gr | 1 medium carrot cut into small dices
- 5 oz | 142 gr can of tuna
- ½ cup | 40 gr. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp chives
- Preheat oven to 375ºF /190ºC on grill.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the green beans for 15 minutes and add the pasta, following the cooking time on the package instructions. Drain.
- Add the olive oil, canned tomatoes and diced carrot to a large sauté pan. Salt according to taste and add some water if the sauce is too thick. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tuna and cook for another five minutes.
- In a medium sized casserole, gently mix the noodles with the sauce (be careful, as gluten free noodles break easily), top with the shredded cheese and chives and grill in the oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 1 cup | 145 gr cooked gluten free pasta
- 3.5 oz | 100 gr canned tomato
- 2.65 oz | 75 gr green beans
- ½ cup | 40 gr shredded cheddar cheese
This recipe has been revised and updated according to Monash FODMAP’s latest updates. Originally published on September, 28 2018.