What the world needs now is… pie, sweet pumpkin pie! So let’s go to our kitchens and bake this sweet and smooth dessert with homemade pumpkin puree and store-bought crust. Low FODMAP, gluten free and lactose free. Wish some things were as simple as this recipe…
As a low FODMAP food blogger there’s not much I can say about this pandemic or the US elections. The majority of my readers are from the US and wether I like it or not, it’s difficult to ignore what’s going on… the world is patiently waiting and I just hope things change, not just for us but for our kids as well. While we wait, there are some easy things we can do such as baking! It’s what I did yesterday, I baked my second low FODMAP pumpkin pie and I am quite happy to share it with you today!
When we want to bake a pumpkin pie, we normally buy canned pumpkin puree and make a pie crust. I propose to do the opposite, and here’s why:
Why store-bought crust instead of homemade pie crust?
If you’re on the low FODMAP diet you know that a good homemade gluten free and low FODMAP pie crust is not easy to make, so why not buy one? If you still prefer to make your own, check out my buttery pie crust recipe.
Why homemade pumpkin puree instead of canned pumpkin ?
The only pumpkin that is low FODMAP is japanese pumpkin (kabocha squash) and canned pumpkin is limited to 1/3 cup (2.64oz | 75g) per meal. So why not make our own pumpkin puree? This way we can eat a lot of pie, instead of only one slice! But if you prefer or you simply cannot find japanese pumpkin, you can use 15.8oz (450g) of canned pumpkin. Just make sure to limit the intake to one slice per meal (1/6 of the pie).
Why a rectangular shape?
I hope you enjoy this sweet and smooth low FODMAP pumpkin pie recipe and that it can bring some love to your guts, hearts and souls.
Low FODMAP Pumpkin Pie
- 1 9-inch | 28cm GF-low FODMAP pie crust OR sheet of GF-low FODMAP puffed pastry
- 21 oz | 600g japanese pumpkin (approx. 15.8oz | 450g pumpkin puree)*
- 2 eggs
- 3.5 oz | 100g brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3.4 oz | 100ml almond milk
- Pre-heat oven to 375ºF | 180ºC degrees. Fit the pie crust into a 4*14-inch | 35*11cm square tart pan and prick the dough all over with a fork.
- Cut the seedless, skinless pumpkin in chunks and steam for 15 to 20 minutes or until soft. Mash with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs with sugar for two minutes, until bubbles form.
- Add the pumpkin puree, cornstarch, milk, salt and spices and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture in the tart pan and cook for 45 to 55 minutes, or until centre is set.
- Remove from oven and leave to rest for 2 hours before serving.