This Low FODMAP Chicken Alfredo is made with fettuccine, authentic alfredo sauce and perfectly seasoned grilled chicken. A 4-ingredient, super easy recipe without cream.
For this Low FODMAP Chicken Alfredo recipe you’ll need 4 basic ingredients: chicken, fettuccine, butter and an abundance of flavorful parmesan. The rest of the ingredients are olive oil, herbs and spices for seasoning.
Parmesan cheese is low FODMAP!
Even if it hasn’t been tested yet, parmesan cheese contains less than 1 gram of lactose per serving total carbs, therefore is low FODMAP. Recommended serving size will probably be 1.4oz | 40 grams, like the majority of low FODMAP cheeses. For this recipe I strongly advise you to buy a piece of the authentic Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Believe me it’s worth the money and the effort of grating a big quantity of cheese while the pasta is cooking. This is actually the most difficult part the recipe!
The authentic Alfredo Sauce
Inspiration for the sauce came from pasta al burro e parmigiano (pasta with butter and parmesan), an Italian pasta dish of fettuccine tossed with butter and parmesan cheese. As the cheese melts, it emulsifies the butter and pasta cooking water to form a smooth and rich sauce coating the pasta. And because the parmesan thickens the sauce, no need for cream, flour or eggs! This smooth, silky and rich pasta sauce, will leave everyone wanting pasta alfredo for dinner on repeat!
What’s in the chicken?
The secret for the juiciest and most tender chicken is a quick marinade of paprika, olive oil and herbs in a ziplock bag. Maximum flavor with minimum effort, except some light punching! Punching?! A simple trick that will make your white meat even more tender.
This Low FODMAP Chicken Alfredo combines a smooth, cheesy pasta sauce with tender slices of lean protein. It’s perfect for a weeknight family dinner as it’s filling without being too heavy. And, of course, delicious!!
Low FODMAP Chicken Alfredo
- 0.5 lb | 225g gluten free fettuccine pasta or linguine
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp | 2 oz | 60g unsalted butter
- 3.5 oz | 100g parmigiano-reggiano cheese grated
- 1/2 cup | 4oz | 120ml pasta cooking water
For the chicken
- 12 oz | 340g boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
For the chicken
- Add olive oil, dry herbs, salt and paprika into a ziplock bag. Seal the bag and shake until mixed. Add the chicken breasts, seal, and massage so the chicken breasts are covered in the marinade. Give it some gentle punches to reduce the size of the chicken breast and for the juices to penetrate the meat. Set aside for 10-15 minutes on the counter while you prep the rest of the recipe.
- Cook over medium heat in a stainless steel pan, for 5-7 minutes on each side, pressing gently with a fork every 2 minutes.
For the alfredo pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain pasta.
- Use the big holes of the grater to grate the parmesan. Set aside.
- Put the pasta water in a big skillet on low heat and melt in the butter, stirring every now and then.
- When butter is melted, mix in the cooked pasta with tongs.
- Cover pasta with the grated cheese and mix well until silky creamy.
- Serve with the grilled chicken and top with more parmesan.