It’s cookie time! First low FODMAP, gluten free and vegan cookies ever!
The cookie monster in me is delighted and has been spreading crumbs all over the house with this low FODMAP coconut and lemon cookies recipe 😉
This recipe is a cross between a shortbread cookie and a coconut macaroon. It is not a shortbread cookie because the recipe has no butter, and shortbread is a type of biscuit traditionally made from one part sugar, two parts butter, and three parts flour. I’ve used coconut oil instead. It is not a macaroon because there are no eggs, particularly egg whites, the key ingredient in a macaroon recipe. For consistency, I’ve added a “flax egg” (see recipe for details).
BUT it is nevertheless chewy, delicious and bursting with coconut and lemon flavors.
I suggest accompaning them with one of my favourite teas: the zesty and bright Twinings Lady Grey Tea.
And if you love coconut sweet recipes, check out this super easy coconut macaroons recipe!
Low Fodmap Coconut and Lemon Cookies
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp flaxseeds + 3 tbsp warm water OR 1 egg
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup | 115 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup | 70 g rice flour
- ½ cup | 75 g tapioca starch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup | 30 g shredded dried coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the "flax egg", combine flaxseeds and warm water, allow to sit for about 5 minutes and mix in the blender. Set aside.
- Beat the coconut oil and sugar for about 5 minutes.
- Add the “flax egg” (or egg), vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice.
- In another bow mix flour, tapioca and salt. Add it to the mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Add the shredded coconut and stir until evenly moistened.
- Spoon the dough into a piping bag fitted with a piping tip. Pipe the cookies, evenly spacing them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, 15-20 minutes
- Let the cookies cool on the tray for 10 minutes before eating or storing in an airtight container.