I really wanted to create a special side that I could bring to my friends´ place for dinner and that would enhance the meal they were preparing. At home I had leftover cooked millet, pumpkins (a kitchen habitué this time of year) and a can of coconut milk for a shrimp recipe that I hope to share with you soon.
30 minutes and 4 ingredients later, there it was: a super easy, creamy and healthy vegetarian casserole dish.
Coconut milk and brazil nuts are the unexpected rich ingredients that turn this casserole into something I had never tasted before.
This wonderful combination of creamy and crunchy was a success! It is perfect for Thanksgiving or for a special dinner. The ideal side for a delicious, healthy and balanced meal and guaranteed to impress your guests 🙂
- 7 oz/200 gr pumpkin, steamed and puréed with a fork (or canned)
- 1 cup millet
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 small can (5,6 oz/ 160 ml) coconut milk
- ¼ cup (10) brazil nuts, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/175ºC.
- Place the millet in a saucepan with boiling water and add a large pinch of salt. Lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer until the millet is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- In a medium casserole, gently combine the cooked millet and the pumpkin purée with a spatula.
- Add the coconut milk, salt, pepper and combine until well blended.
- Crumble the chopped brazil nuts evenly over top of the mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until topping is browned and casserole is set, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let rest to cool slightly before serving, about 10 minutes.