I had the will to try a new low FODMAP dessert that would also be vegan. Complicated? Well, it can sometimes be a bit frustrating but when it works, the feeling is just amazing and makes my palate jump with joy! But it is also very important for me that what comes out of my kitchen is, besides food sensitivities friendly, basically for everyone to enjoy. So my first batch was shared with my neighbors who are becoming more and more my food critics and supporters 🙂 Another difficult thing about free from almost everything desserts is kid’s approval, and this time I’ve passed the test!
These muffins are a delicate delish, so healthy and very easy to make.
When baking food sensitivities friendly desserts, I have developed a sort of a technique that combines vegetables such as carrots, zucchini, turnip,…and fruits such as bananas, oranges, blueberries, coconut. The Banana Orange Bread recipe is a good example.
So, how did I come up with these particular ingredients? They were basically in front of me…
This week was all about pumpkin. I had bought a big one and after making some pumpkin and ginger soup, roasted veggies and lentils, I thought it was time to make something sweet with it. The first tangerines of the season have arrived (oh how I love them!) and the idea of creating a dessert with them was cooking in my head for some time now! And this is how I came up with these muffins recipe. Hope you enjoy them 🙂
Low FODMAP Pumpkin Tangerine Muffins
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200 gr/7 oz pumpkin steamed and puréed
- 2 tangerines zest and juice
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Brown sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Prepare a 12 muffins pan with paper baking cups.
- In a large bowl whisk the sugar with the oil for 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin, tangerine zest and juice and mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, combine the flours, baking powder and slowly add to the batter, beating until completely blended.
- Finally add the vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Pour the batter into each of the muffin cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle granulated brown sugar on top of the muffins straight from the oven.