A low FODMAP Vegan Banana Bread packed full of flavors and nutrients: bananas, carrots and walnuts. A one bowl recipe that is also gluten free.
You know I love baking with fruit and veggies. I love creating low FODMAP recipes where all the goodness comes from fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts. No need for butter, cream, milk or too much sugar. My goal is to create delicious and healthy cakes.
My first adventure in baking with fruits and vegetables was my last birthday cake, a fragrant and delicious banana orange bread. Since then I’ve been developing new baking techniques using these natural ingredients. I’ve been busy mixing, combining, adding, testing, failing, succeding and HAVING FUN – not to mention, totally satisfying my sweet tooth!
This low FODMAP Vegan Banana Bread recipe follows both the fruit+nuts (sort of) rule explained in detail here and the fruit+vegetable (sort of) principle I used here. This time I’ve added carrots for fluffiness and nutrional goodness.
Low FODMAP Vegan Banana Bread
- 10,5 oz | 300g bananas (3)* mashed
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 2 flax eggs 2 tbsp flaxseeds + 6 tbsp warm water
- 1,76 oz | 50g brown sugar
- 1/2 cup | 2,64oz | 75g rice flour
- 1/2 cup | 2,2oz | 65g cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup | 2,11oz | 60g finely chopped walnuts approx. 10 walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC | 350ºF.
- Combine flaxseeds and warm water, allow to sit for about 5 minutes and mix in the blender.
- Finely grate the carrot on to a plate and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the flax eggs and sugar and incorporate the grated carrot.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and add to the mix.
- Add the flour, starch, baking powder and soda, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon and whisk until completely blended.
- Finally add the walnuts.
- Bake in a 0,5kg/1lb loaf tin (25cm*11cm*7,5cm / 10inch*9inch*4,5inch) in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.