Looking for some breakfast or packed lunch ideas? What about this delicious low FODMAP skillet cornbread recipe with goat cheese, ham and tomatoes?
Cornbread is a typical North American quick bread with cornmeal, flour, eggs, buttermilk, leavened by baking powder and cooked in a cast iron skillet in the oven.
I’ve always wanted to make some homemade cornbread but was not tempted by the old fashioned recipe. I’ve developed this recipe following the traditional cornbread baking steps. Then I though that if I added some bacon (already used in many cornbread recipes), intense tart flavored goat cheese and small tomatoes, I might give a different twist to this traditional bread recipe.
I prefered to make it in a hot cast iron skillet in the oven for a crunchy crust. If you have a cast-iron pan, this is a good way to use it!
The result is a surprisingly delicious low FODMAP skillet cornbread. A filling and flavorful breakfast or a quick lunch accompanied with a green salad.
And for more of my low FODMAP bread recipes, checkout this collection.
Low FODMAP Skillet Cornbread
- 1 cup | 5,29oz| 150g cornmeal
- 1/3 cup | 1,6oz | 45g rice flour
- 1/3 cup |1,8oz | 50g tapioca
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup | 4,7oz | 140ml lactose free milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 4,4 oz | 125 gr. unsweetened natural lactose free yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup | 2,37oz | 70ml olive oil
- 3,5 oz | 100g bacon diced
- 4 oz | 120g goat cheese
- 10 | 5,29 oz | 150g cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 360°F/ 180ºC with a cast iron skillet or an 8-inch/ 20 cm round pan inside, to help to cook the bread evenly, when adding the batter.
- Make the buttermilk by combining milk with lemon juice, whisk and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place the cornmeal, flour, tapioca, baking powder, salt and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, oil, yogurt and buttermilk, and whisk to combine well.
- Make a hole in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Finally add the bacon and cheese.
- Carefully remove the skillet (or pan) from the oven and spread the batter in it. Top with the cherry tomatoes.
- Return the skillet to the oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the top is lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Slice and serve hot or cold.
- 1,41oz | 40g goat cheese. Recipe calls for 4oz
- 5 cherry tomatoes