Delicate and fluffy Green Cake with an unexpected ingredient. A low FODMAP and gluten free dessert recipe packed full of nutrients.
I’ve already shared healthy low FODMAP cakes but a green cake is a first. This is a recipe from a friend, Sao, the best pastry chef I know!
What’s the secret ingredient?
It’s not matcha, it’s not spinach, nor zucchini, it’s… watercress! A delicate, nutrient-rich vegetable often used to increment salads or soups.
Today I suggest you add watercress to this low FODMAP cake, because it’s a game changer!
The result is a delicate and fluffy cake that everyone will love and only a few will guess what’s inside! It’s also quite good with fresh spinach, which is easier to find.
For the topping I made a simple lemon glaze and decorated it with chopped walnuts.
In addition to being beautiful and delicious, this low FODMAP green cake is healthy and good for your tummy!
Low FODMAP Green Cake
- 8.8 oz | 250g gluten free and low FODMAP flour blend
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5.3 oz | 150g watercress OR spinach washed and drained
- 5 fl oz | 150ml olive oil
- 5.3 oz | 150g brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 oz 60g walnuts roughly chopped
- 3.5 oz | 100g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350ºF | 180ºC and grease a cake pan with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour with baking powder and set aside.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites, beat the egg whites and set aside.
- Put the watercress, oil, sugar and egg yolks in a blender and mix well until you get a green paste.
- Mix the previous preparation with the flour and beat with an electric mixer.
- Add the egg whites and gently fold the dough with a spatula until the egg whites disappear completely.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Drizzle over the glaze, making zigzag lines and let them drain freely. Top with chopped walnuts.
- Transfer to a plate and it's ready to serve!
- Place the icing sugar on a bowl. Add the lemon juice and beat vigorously with a spatula for 10 seconds, until smooth. Add more lemon juice, if needed.