Chicken rice is a Portuguese traditional dish that everybody loves. It is not Spanish paella, nor Italian risotto, it’s our own national pride and joy that we often cook for picnics in a pot wrapped in a blanket and newspaper. I know it sounds very weird but it actually maintains a low cooking temperature and enhances the flavors until it’s time to serve.
When I’m craving for some comfort food, I often think of this Low FODMAP Chicken Turmeric Rice recipe packed full of flavor.
The secret to this hearty recipe lies in the fact that everything is cooked in the same pan, respecting a given order.
Besides chicken and rice, carrots are often used. I’ve added chickpeas, for extra amounts of energy, antioxidants and protein. If you are following a low FODMAP diet just be careful with the quantity you eat: the recommended amount is 1/4 cup (42g).
The beautiful golden color is due to turmeric, a powerful anti-inflammatory agent for people suffering with IBS and an excellent source of both iron and manganese. It is also a good source of vitamin B6, dietary fiber, and potassium.
And if you’re looking for another awesome chicken dinner idea, check out this Peanut Butter Coconut Chicken recipe.
Chicken Turmeric Rice
- 3 tbsp olive oil OR garlic infused oil
- 4 chicken drumsticks skinless
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 cup | 220 gr white rice medium-grain
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chickpeas canned
- sea salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium–high heat.
- Toss in the chicken and turmeric and cook for 2–3 minutes, or until golden brown, turning often to ensure even color.
- Cover the chicken with water and let it cook over medium heat for approx. 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice, carrot, chickpeas and cover again with water. Bring to the boil, salt to taste, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Give everything a good stir and season to taste, if necessary.
- Remove from the heat and stand, covered, for a further 15 minutes.