For a soup lover like myself, I haven´t been posting as much soup recipes as I should. I wonder if it´s because it is so omnipresent in every meal that I forget how important it is. In case you´re wondering, I do eat soup everyday at lunch and dinner. I´m a soup addict and I´m on a mission to convert you 🙂
So, the challenge today was to make an out of the ordinary soup for picky eaters. And I even add some words to try and convince you to give it a try: easy, creamy, healthy, immune boosting, flavorful, and the list goes on… (vegan, low fodmap, dairy free for the sensitive eater)
I love pumpkin, ginger, coconut and brussels sprouts (not easy to love but so surprisingly tasty) so this could only be a soup made with love and care for these wonderful foods. My hope is that once you´ve tasted it you´ll love it too.
- 2 cups/240gr pumpkin, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 cups of water
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup creamy coconut milk
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 8 shaved brussels sprouts
- Shred the brussels sprouts whisper thin using a mandoline, or alternately, a knife. Set aside.
- Boil the water in a large sauce pan and add the pumpkin. Cook over a medium high heat for 20 minutes, until pumpkin is mushy.
- Add the fresh ginger and salt and purée the soup with a hand blender or in a food processor.
- Stir in the shaved brussels sprouts, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the coconut milk.
Recipe in Portuguese:
- 2 xícaras / 240gr de abóbora, sem sementes e cortada em pedaços
- 2 xícaras de água
- Uma pitada de sal
- ½ xícara de leite de côco cremoso
- 2 colheres de chá de gengibre fresco ralado
- 8 couves de Bruxelas raspadas
- Raspe as couves de Bruxelas usando um cortador de legumes ou, alternativamente, uma faca. Reserve.
- Ferva a água numa panela grande e adicione a abóbora. Cozinhe em lume médio durante 20 minutos, até que a abóbora esteja mole.
- Adicione o gengibre fresco e sal e triture a sopa com uma varinha mágica ou num processador de alimentos até obter um puré cremoso.
- Acrescente as raspas de couves de Bruxelas, tampe e cozinhe durante 5 minutos.
- Pouco antes de servir, misture o leite de côco.