You know I love natural baking so, this time, I’ve decided to go ahead and put the word natural in the recipe’s name.
Natural stands for natural ingredients but also naturally gluten free, vegan, corn free and almost sugar free. All the goodness comes from the fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts. No need for butter, cream, milk or too much sugar.
My goal is to create delicious cakes that remain natural and healthy. You’ll be the judge of that 🙂
I totally made up this concept and not sure if it even exists but I just love to say natural baking, natural cake, natural muffin,…
My first adventure in natural baking was my last birthday cake inspired by this amazing cookbook. Since then I’ve been developing natural baking techniques by mixing, combining, adding, testing, baking, failing, succeding and HAVING FUN (not to mention, totally satisfying my sweet tooth) 🙂
This recipe follows both the fruit+nuts (sort of) rule explained in detail here and the fruit+vegetable (sort of) principle I used here. This time I’ve added carrots for fluffiness and nutrional goodness.
Natural Banana Bread
- 10,5 oz | 300g bananas (3)* mashed
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 2 flax eggs 2 tbsp flaxseeds + 6 tbsp warm water
- 1,76 oz | 50g brown sugar
- 1/2 cup | 2,64oz | 75g rice flour
- 1/2 cup | 2,2oz | 65g cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup | 2,11oz | 60g finely chopped walnuts approx. 10 walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Combine flaxseeds and warm water, allow to sit for about 5 minutes and mix in the blender.
- Finely grate the carrot on to a plate and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the flax eggs and sugar and incorporate the grated carrot.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and add to the mix.
- Add the flour, starch, baking powder and soda, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon and whisk until completely blended.
- Finally add the walnuts.
- Bake in a 0,5kg/1lb loaf tin (25cm*11cm*7,5cm / 10inch*9inch*4,5inch) in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.