This recipe is inspired by Harry Eastwood’s wonderful book Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache. This book helped me through when, after more than 6 months without baked desserts, I was craving for a good homemade cake for my birthday. Problem was I couldn’t tolerate dairy, eggs, corn or gluten. It seemed like an impossible mission at the time but then my very good British friend Julia – an English teacher and a fine baker who is, by the way, generously helping out by revising my english in this blog – saved me!
For starters I tried out a couple of recipes and they were an instant success amongst friends and family. I was very happy to have (and share) my cake and eat it for my birthday!
This low fodmap Banana Orange Bread is actually a combination of two of Harry Eastwood’s natural cake recipes: Cinnamon Banana Bread and Carrot Cake, adapted to egg free and low fodmap diets, as most of her recipes are already gluten and dairy free.
This is a natural cake that tastes really naughty!
It is a real pleasure to share this cake with you sensitive guts out there.
Banana Orange Bread
- 2 flax eggs* 2 tbsp flaxseeds + 6 tbsp warm water
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3,52 oz |100g unripe banana (1 medium)
- 1 big orange
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 ½ cups rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Combine flaxseeds and warm water, allow to sit for about 5 minutes and mix in the blender.
- Finely grate the zest of the orange on to a plate and set aside, then squeeze the orange and soak the cranberries in the juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the flax eggs and sugar and incorporate the grated carrots and orange zest.
- Mash the banana with a fork and add it to the mix.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract (optional) and whisk until completely blended.
- Finally add the orange juice with the cranberries and the walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Bake in a 0,5kg/1lb loaf tin (25cm*11cm*7,5cm / 10inch*9inch*4,5inch), lightly greased, in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.