A latke is a traditional potato pancake served at the jewish Hanukkah celebrations. It is also very common in Germany where it´s called kartoffelpuffer or reibekuchen. It is traditionally eaten at Xmas markets and served with applesauce. I suggest you try these beauties with my special celebration mayonnaise.
A wonderful, easy and delicious recipe for Christmas that all your family will love!
I´ve added a special ingredient to the traditional recipe: parsnip. This pale white carrot-like veggie is packful of nutrients, specially potassium and gives the latkes a unique sweet flavor.
To accompany these beautiful latkes, I´ve created a special celebration citrus mayo. It is a light mayonnaise with lemon, inspired by the dutch popular fritessaus to serve with fries. Instead of the typical mustard, I´ve added turmeric for a healthier touch and a brighter colour.
The recipe has also some minor adaptations to the gluten free and low FODMAP diets: flour has been substituted by potato starch and onions by green onions (green parts only).
If you would like to know a bit more about these diets, my story has just been published by the British Gluten Free Centre. You can check it here.
- 1 medium russet potato (or other starchy kind), pealed
- 1 medium parsnip, pealed
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp green onions green tops, sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil (or any other oil to fry)
- ¾ cup (200 ml) olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- On the large holes of a box grater, grate the potato and parsnip.
- Pile the mixture on a clean dish towel and squeeze out excess liquid. This is an essential step for cooking the perfect latkes.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the potato starch, egg and salt until well blended. Finally gently mix in the green onions.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Carefully drop into the skillet a big tablespoon of the potato and parsnip mixture, pressing to flatten.
- Cook until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes per side, adjusting heat as needed. Drain on paper towels and serve warm with mayonnaise.
- Put all the ingredients by the order above into a tall slim cup.
- Blitz with a stick hand blender for approx. 3 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Serve with latkes.